Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Short Story of My Life


Short Story of my Life
O, what a journey it has been!                                                                                                                                 I am not that old, but I’ve seen,                                                                                                                            A lot of things. A colourful variety.                                                                                                           I’ve experienced the “Swazi-dream”;                                                                                                                  Bright lights, shiny cars and spectacular lodgings.                                                                                     I’ve feasted on food fit for kings and queens.

It seemed like a dream, for in that midst,                                                                                                        I found myself in the squalid conditions,                                                                                                         Of the township, where poverty is no fiction.                                                                                                             In the “past-life” fancy electricity lights,                                                                                                                           Dangled from the ceiling and illuminated the big house every night.                                                                    But now, a kerosene lamp burnt dimly,                                                                                                              Its light struggling to cover the overcrowded two-roomed flat.

In that past life I had not known that water,                                                                                                 Came anywhere else, apart from tap in the house.                                                                                                 Now, I trudged for a kilometer, heavy-laden,                                                                                                         To acquire such a commodity.                                                                                                                   Blessed is the soul of a child, for to me,                                                                                                               This was an adventure. It seemed a bit funny.

Today, I look at those days, in sheer amazement                                                                                      And I am dumbstruck by such a contrast,                                                                                                                In one person’s life.                                                                                                                                            Yes, I came out stronger.                                                                                                                                Fate has a strange game it plays.                                                                                                                    Now I have a piece of mind in the village.                                                                                                                My soul is a peace. I can manage.                                                                                                                        So you see? I do not lie when I say:                                                                                                                       “What a life it is I’ve had!”

No comments:

Post a Comment